Divorce is a very emotional chapter in your life. What you thought would be for the rest of your life is now coming into question. Promises were made that are getting broken. You may be experiencing feelings of uncertainty, anger, sadness, and hurt. Give my office a call so we can further discuss your situation.
When initiating the divorce process here are some things to consider:
1) Children: There are many things to consider when children are involved, just to name a few things: who will the children be with during the week/weekend and at what times? During the holidays? Education private vs. public school expenses? Who will provide the health insurance?
2) Medical Insurance: will either one of you be covered on the other’s, if so how long. If there are children, who will cover the children
3) Real Estate: Will the house go one or the other? Will the other be responsible for making mortgage payments for x amount of time? Will the house be sold and split profit or loss? If so, when?
4) Bank Accounts: How should they be distributed?
5) 401k, IRA, or pension plans: List the current value and the value at the time of the marriage as an offset will be awarded accordingly to the other
6) Debts: Think of all possible debts…credit cards, tax debt, if there is an agreement between the two of you regarding student loans, etc.
7) Automobiles: How are they titled, amount owed, amount paid, who gets what? Who makes remaining payments on what?
8) Pets: Who gets who, are there any vet bill issues with any of the pets?
9) Attorney fees and court costs: Who pays?
Overall, its good for both parties to think about their expectations and/or goals in this proceeding.
We also handle the following cases:
Business Contracts and Disputes